Assistant Controller, Finance and Administration- New York City Ballet Job Posting
Assistant Controller, Finance & Administration
Lincoln Center, New York City
New York City Ballet is one of the foremost dance companies in the world, with a roster of spectacular dancers and an unparalleled repertory. Founded in 1948 by George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein, New York City Ballet quickly became world-renowned for its athletic and contemporary style. Widely acknowledged for its enduring contributions to dance, New York City Ballet is committed to promoting creative excellence and nurturing a new generation of dancers and choreographers. The School of American Ballet is the official training academy of the New York City Ballet.
The Assistant Controller is responsible for the managing and reporting of the company’s financial and bookkeeping activities while ensuring compliance with GAAP and internal management reporting requirements. The Assistant Controller will evaluate, develop and recommend relevant policies and controls in relation to cash flow, investments, payroll, and contributions. The position will be responsible for a timely monthly close and the preparation of monthly financial statements. In addition, the position will manage the department’s accounting managers.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage the monthly financial close, including reconciliations of revenue and expense accounts, fixed assets, accruals, journal entries, and ongoing variance, payroll, and benefits analysis.
• Maintain general ledger in strict accordance with GAAP and ensure the accuracy of accounting systems and financial reporting.
• Prepare financial reports and statements, ensuring that monthly and year-end reporting are completed in an accurate and timely manner.
• Monitor organization’s purchasing activity across departments to ensure that purchasing policies and practices are implemented.
• Manages the work of the accounting managers.
• Work cross-functionally as necessary while promoting a congenial and supportive work environment.
• Develop and improve internal controls over the financial process. This will include documenting business processes and accounting policies to strengthen the internal controls and establishing risk management controls on key aspects of the business.
• Manage and comply with all local, state, and federal government accounting and reporting requirements.
• Highest moral character and integrity.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
• At least 7 years of relevant managerial experience in a complex organization; similar responsibilities in a non-profit setting a plus.
• Must have strong accounting software acumen and be PC and Microsoft Excel proficient.
• Familiarity with non-profit finance/accounting and prior experience handling investments.
• Effective manager with prior experience in a supervisory role.
• Strong written, oral, and interpersonal skills.
• Entrepreneurial and collaborative team player; flexible, energetic, with ability to multi-task, work under pressure, and meet deadlines.
• Master’s degree in Accounting or Finance
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt senior position and the hours of work are typically between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM weekdays; additional hours may be required based on departmental need.
• A salary to match your experience and qualifications
• A competitive benefits package including health and dental insurance
• Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account Programs
• Generous paid time off policy including holidays, floating holidays/personal days, sick and vacation time
Employment is subject to the completion of due-diligence inquiries, including a background check which will take place after a conditional offer is made.
Interested, qualified candidates may apply by forwarding their resume and salary requirements to:
With “Assistant Controller” in the subject line.
No Phone Calls, Please.
New York City Ballet is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, disability, pregnancy, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military status or veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, unemployment status, familial status, sexual violence or stalking victim status, caregiver status, arrest or conviction record to extent required by applicable law, credit history or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement of Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
New York City Ballet, one of the foremost ballet companies in the world, pursues the highest levels of artistic excellence and innovation. Therefore, we seek to attract, retain, and cultivate the most talented dancers, musicians, designers, stage technicians, and arts administrators. To this end, we are deeply committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that values diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are inspired by our founders, George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein, who envisioned an authentically American expression of ballet with a company that reflects the rich cultural diversity of this nation. In pursuit of their vision, we are committed to educating, developing, and supporting an organization that embodies diversity in its many forms.
For more information about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, please visit: