Director, Safety and Security- New York City Ballet Job Posting
Director, Safety and Security
David H. Koch Theater & New York City Ballet
Lincoln Center, New York City
The David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center opened in April 1964 as the New York State Theater. The theater was designed by the renowned architect Philip Johnson, built with funds from the State of New York, and given to the City of New York as a home for performing arts organizations. Today, the theater is home to the New York City Ballet as well as a growing number of national and international touring performing arts groups.
The Director, Safety and Security is responsible for the safety and security of employees, customers, artists, and the physical assets of New York City Ballet and the David H. Koch Theater. The Director, Safety and Security oversees and manages the 24/7 venue security and event security operations at the David H. Koch Theater and provides strategic and operational guidance to the security team.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ensures the safety and security of staff, patrons, visitors, and the physical assets of the New York City Ballet and the David H. Koch Theater.
• Recruits, hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates security staff.
• Establishes and maintains customer service standards for security staff in keeping with David H. Koch Theater customer service protocols.
• Develops and implements standard operating procedures, post orders, and policies and procedures for venue and event security.
• Develops and maintains departmental budget and prepares weekly schedules and payroll reconciliation.
• Leads internal investigations ensuring that all incidents are reported and documented. Liaises with NYCB Human Resources when appropriate.
• Develops materials and training protocols for security staff. Manages the in-house CPR/AED/ First Aid certification program and ensures annual training and certification is provided.
• Researches and assesses developments, strategies, and technologies in the security field and makes recommendations.
• Possesses the ability to develop, implement, and refine department standard operating procedures.
• Serves as Co-Chair of the Workplace Health and Safety Committee.
• Trains security staff in operation of CCTV surveillance, building access, and fire command systems.
• Reviews and analyzes event requirements and develops appropriate in-house safety/security plans. Liaises with outside licensees regarding specialized services.
• Develops, implements, and assures facility compliance with life-safety and emergency response and evacuation policies and procedures, including annual table top training and drills.
• Develops and maintains professional relationships and lines of communication with federal, state, and city officials, including NYPD and Lincoln Center Campus Security.
• Highest moral character and integrity
• Four-year degree in criminal justice, law enforcement, or related field.
• Minimum of 10 years of public or private security operations experience including supervisory responsibilities.
• Working knowledge of and experience with security principles and practices applicable to the theatrical and entertainment industry.
• Experience in crowd management within a large live entertainment venue.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task and work well in a fast-paced environment with strong attention to detail and process.
• Familiarity with group dynamics and crowd control.
• Must have the ability to work independently and use sound business judgment while maintaining a commitment to company values.
• Knowledge of CCTV, surveillance equipment, radio communications systems, and life safety and fire codes.
• Extensive experience working alongside local and state public safety agencies as well as managing in a union environment and participating in negotiating collective bargaining agreements.
• Proven ability to assess, develop, and execute security plans.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment during stressful or emergency situations.
• Superior verbal and written communication skills.
• Superior interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of people both inside and outside of the organization.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Strong customer service orientation and the ability to communicate effectively with customers of various age, socioeconomic, and ethnic groups, to deal tactfully and effectively with large groups of people, and to enforce rules and regulations.
• PSP, CPP, or similar professional certifications preferred.
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt, managerial position. Work hours vary according to the event schedule and may include weekends, holidays, and other scheduled work periods as necessary.
• While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to:
– Standing for extended periods throughout the day.
– Theater and studio settings
– Office setting
• A salary to match your experience and qualifications
• A competitive benefits package including health and dental insurance
• Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account Programs
• Generous paid time off policy including holidays, floating holidays/personal days, sick and vacation time
Employment is subject to the completion of due-diligence inquiries, including a background check which will take place after a conditional offer is made.
Interested, qualified candidates may apply by forwarding their resume and salary requirements to:
With “Director, Safety and Security” in the subject line.
No Phone Calls, Please.
New York City Ballet is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, disability, pregnancy, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military status or veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, unemployment status, familial status, sexual violence or stalking victim status, caregiver status, arrest or conviction record to extent required by applicable law, credit history or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement of Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
New York City Ballet, one of the foremost ballet companies in the world, pursues the highest levels of artistic excellence and innovation. Therefore, we seek to attract, retain, and cultivate the most talented dancers, musicians, designers, stage technicians, and arts administrators. To this end, we are deeply committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that values diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are inspired by our founders, George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein, who envisioned an authentically American expression of ballet with a company that reflects the rich cultural diversity of this nation. In pursuit of their vision, we are committed to educating, developing, and supporting an organization that embodies diversity in its many forms.
For more information about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, please visit: